Shall we Skype?
Private Lessons • Ensemble Visits • Pedagogy Consultations
- tone development
- articulation & rhythm
- musical practice habits
- Creative & Jazz-specific Improvisation
- developing vocabulary
- rhythmic & motivic improvisation
- aural approach to learning
- Foundational Music Theory
- chord structures
- scales & modes
- meter & rhythm
- major & minor keys
- harmonic function & chord progressions
- Composition & Arranging
- melodic development
- form & structure
- writing for jazz combo
- scoring for big band
- Finale / Music Copying
- part, score & lead sheet layout
- how to get Finale to behave
- Setting Up and Running a Private Teaching Studio
- recruiting students
- establishing policies
- scheduling & billing
- Booking and Managing Bands for Local Engagements (not touring)
- contracts & payments
- paying sidemen & yourself
- working with clients
- Self-Publishing Sheet Music
- finding distribution for your printed & digital music
- understanding dealer discounts
If you are preparing to perform one of my tunes, I will offer a free 15-minute Skype visit to your rehearsal.
SEND ME A NOTE to inquire.
How it Works
- You contact me to schedule a lesson.
- You pay for your lesson in advance via a PayPal e-invoice that I will send you when we confirm the date & time.
- Your first lesson will have an extra 10 minutes at the beginning to make sure there are no technical problems. We'll also discuss your learning objectives and big questions at this time.
Terms & Rates
- We schedule at mutual convenience. Potential availability will be between 8am and 9pm EASTERN U.S. TIME. (This doesn't mean I'm wide open during these hours, simply that I will only be available during these hours).
- Private lessons are USD$75 per hour (60 minutes), payable in advance.
- Cancellations will be refunded or credited only if given 24 hours advance notice.
- Please make sure everything is working in advance of your lesson
- internet connection
- speakers & microphone (internal or external)
- Also make sure that you are well lit from the front (not in the shadows).
- Make sure that there will not be other distractions in your lesson space.